Stephen Z. Starr
Stephen has over 28 years of practice experience focused on corporate restructuring, commercial collections, insolvency, bankruptcy, out of court workouts and creditors' rights matters. He has represented both debtors and creditors in major bankruptcy cases. Prior to founding Starr & Starr, PLLC, he was a senior associate in the Corporate Department of the New York office of the leading international law firm of Paul, Hastings, Janofsky & Walker LLP, where he practiced for five years. Before that he was associated with the prominent international law firm of Curtis, Mallet-Prevost, Colt & Mosle LLP, where he was an associate in the New York office of the Bankruptcy and Creditors' Rights Group for four years. Prior to returning to New York, Stephen practiced with two different regional bankruptcy and litigation boutiques in Los Angeles, California for five years.
Since founding Starr & Starr, PLLC, over fourteen years ago with his partner Vildan E. Starr, he has represented a variety of business and individual clients in bankruptcy, litigation, commercial collections and judgment enforcement matters in New York and New Jersey State, Federal and Bankruptcy Court.Admitted to Practice
Stephen is admitted to practice law in New York (1995), New Jersey (1995), the District of Columbia (1994) and California (1992).Education
- J.D., University of Southern California Law Center, 1991
- M.A., Columbia University, 1988
- B.A., Columbia University, 1987
- Board Certified - Business Bankruptcy Law - American Board of Certification (2002).
- Certified Mediator, U.S. Bankruptcy Court sponsored program by Abrams Mediation (2005). Listed on Register of Mediators for Southern District of New York Bankruptcy Court, Eastern District of New York Bankruptcy Court, and District of Delaware Bankruptcy Court.
- American Bar Association (ABA), Bankruptcy and Insolvency Litigation Committee, Co-Chair of Preference/Avoidance Subcommittee (2005 - 2008); Co-Chair of Bankruptcy Litigation Subcommittee (2005 - 2008); ABA member 1992 to present.
- Association of the Bar of the City of New York, Committee on Bankruptcy and Corporate Reorganization (1998 - 2001; 2015-present); Committee on State Courts of Superior Jurisdiction (2010 - 2013); Committee on Civil Courts (2007 – 2010); Committee on Professional & Judicial Ethics (2006 - 2007); Committee on Professional Responsibility (Secretary, 2002 - 2005); NYCBA member 1997 to present.
- American Bankruptcy Institute (ABI), member 1996 to present.
- Commercial Law League of America (CLLA), Eastern Distr. Executive Council (2015 - present); Board of Governors (Bankruptcy Representative, 2013 - 2015); Bankruptcy Section (Chair, 2012 - 2013), (Secretary, 2011 - 2012), (Member of Executive Committee, 2009 - 2013); Co-Chair of Newsletter Committee (2008 - 2011); CLLA member 1997 to 2017.
- National Association of Consumer Bankruptcy Attorney, (NACBA), member 2008 to present.
- Beverly Hills Bar Association, Executive Committee - Bankruptcy Section (1992-1997).
- Los Angeles Free Clinic, Legal Department - Advisory Board (1992- 1997).
- American Bankruptcy Institute
- American Bar Association
- Association of the Bar of the City of New York
- Brooklyn Bar Association
- Commercial Law League of America
- National Association of Consumer Bankruptcy Attorneys
Moderator on Panel on "Key Bankruptcy Issues" at The Distressed Real Estate Seminar, Information Management Network, Feb. 27, 2002, New York
Panel Speaker on Panel on "What Intellectual Property Lawyers Need to Know About Bankruptcy" at The Intellectual Property Law Section Seminar, New York State Bar Association Annual Meeting, Jan. 22, 2002, New York
Panel Speaker on Panel on "Intellectual Property & Bankruptcy" sponsored by the Bankruptcy Committee of the Litigation Section of the American Bar Association, A.B.A. Annual Meeting, Aug. 5, 2001, Chicago
Publications : See the Publications page for a list of publications
Languages : French, Turkish