Starr & Starr, PLLC is dedicated to providing you with excellent, timely and cost-effective legal services. Our goal is to provide a "big law firm" level of consistent quality and service at economical boutique rates. We provide you with clear and understandable advice concerning your legal matter, your legal rights and options. We listen to what you have to say and tailor our advice and representation to meet your needs and budget. We return every client's call promptly and respond promptly to all client e-mails and letters.
What Distinguishes Us From Other Law Firms:
- We are specialists, not generalists. Our practice is focused exclusively on bankruptcy and restructuring, commercial collections, and commercial and civil litigation.
- Board Certified. Our practice is led by Stephen Starr who is Board Certified in Business Bankruptcy Law, by the American Board of Certification* and AV Rated by Martindale Hubbell.
- Many Years of Experience. Stephen has over 14 years of experience focused in the bankruptcy, restructuring and creditors' rights area. He has published extensively on bankruptcy and restructuring topics, is a member of a number of national and local bankruptcy and commercial collections related professional associations, and has actively served (and continues to serve) on a number of bar committees focused on bankruptcy and restructuring matters.
- Excellent Training & Experience. Prior to launching Starr & Starr, PLLC, Stephen worked for five years with one of the leading international law firms, Paul, Hastings, Janofsky & Walker LLP, in its New York Corporate Department focused on bankruptcy and financial restructuring matters. Prior to that, he worked for four years with the prominent international law firm of Curtis, Mallet-Prevost, Colt & Mosle LLP in its New York Bankruptcy Department focused on bankruptcy and financial restructuring matters. Prior to that, Stephen worked for regional law firms in Los Angeles focused on bankruptcy matters. Stephen has represented a variety of clients, including debtors, creditors, bankruptcy trustees, landlords, manufacturing companies and financial institutions, among others, in a variety of complex matters.
At Starr & Starr, PLLC our goal is to provide a level of service and quality that one would find in a big international law firm, but at economical rates reflecting the boutique nature of our practice.
Types of Clients We Help at Starr & Starr, PLLC:
- We represent companies as well as individuals -- debtors as well as creditors. At Starr & Starr, PLLC we strive to provide excellent, economical legal services to large and mid-sized companies for matters that would be uneconomical if they used their regular "big law firm" outside counsel. We welcome referrals from other attorneys and are glad to work with them.
- We represent small businesses and individuals. At Starr & Starr, PLLC every client is important to us and receives individual attention. We represent small businesses and individuals with debtor and creditor matters (including non-business consumer debtor matters) under all chapters of the Bankruptcy Code. We help companies of all sizes in commercial collections matters. We also represent businesses and individuals in commercial litigation matters. We have broad experience in a variety of industries.
- We represent individuals with personal bankruptcies under all chapters of the Bankruptcy Code (i.e., Chapters 7, 13 and 11). We believe each client and client matter is unique and deserves to be treated that way. We are not a "bankruptcy mill" and provide individualized service and attention to each of our clients. At our firm you meet with and your questions are answered by an attorney, not a paralegal. In addition, unlike firms that only represent debtors, we have experience representing trustees and creditors in bankruptcy and believe our knowledge of how trustees and creditors approach cases allows us to provide a better level of representation to our debtor clients than many of our competitors. As a result of the amendments to the Bankruptcy Code in 2005 it is critically important that anyone thinking of filing for personal bankruptcy make sure they hire an experienced and knowledgeable bankruptcy attorney.
To represent creditors in bankruptcy cases, or defendants in bankruptcy litigation, our fees are usually based on our hourly rates. We charge on an hourly rate to represent debtors in chapter 11 cases, and on a flat fee basis to represent debtors in chapter 7 and chapter 13 cases.
We usually perform commercial collections work on a contingency fee basis (unless the client prefers a flat fee or hourly fee basis). Finally, we usually represent parties in civil and commercial litigation matters on an hourly rate basis, but will consider alternative fee arrangements, such as fixed fees for different phases of the case, fee caps, success fees, or blended hourly fee and contingency fee arrangements.
Our hourly rates and fixed fee rates are very competitive with other law firms. For hourly rate matters we can provide our clients with a written estimate of fees and costs. Except from debtors seeking to file bankruptcy, we accept credit cards (Visa, MasterCard, American Express and Discover). For all matters we accept cash, personal checks, travelers' checks, PayPal, eCheck, or bank or wire transfers. Payment plans are available in appropriate cases.
The Next Step : Call us toll fee at 888-867-8165 or at 212-867-8165 to schedule an appointment. Alternatively, you can contact us online. Initial consultations are always free.
Our representation of you will begin once you have signed our standard engagement letter retaining our services and made fee arrangements with us.We look forward to hearing from you.
HAVE ADDITIONAL QUESTIONS? Please see our FAQ page for answers to additional questions you may have.