Stephen Z. Starr
Stephen has over 17 years of practice experience focused on corporate restructuring, commercial collections, insolvency, bankruptcy, out of court workouts and creditors' rights matters. He has represented both debtors and creditors in major bankruptcy cases. Prior to founding Starr & Starr, PLLC, he was a senior associate in the Corporate Department of the New York office of the leading international law firm of Paul, Hastings, Janofsky & Walker LLP, where he practiced for five years. Before that he was associated with the prominent international law firm of Curtis, Mallet-Prevost, Colt & Mosle LLP, where he was an associate in the New York office of the Bankruptcy and Creditors' Rights Group for four years. Prior to returning to New York, Stephen practiced with two different regional bankruptcy and litigation boutiques in Los Angeles, California for five years.
Admitted to Practice
Stephen is admitted to practice law in New York (1995), New Jersey (1995), the District of Columbia (1994) and California (1992).
- J.D., University of Southern California Law Center, 1991
- M.A., Columbia University, 1988
- B.A., Columbia University, 1987
- Board Certified - Business Bankruptcy Law - American Board of Certification (2002).
- Certified Mediator, U.S. Bankruptcy Court sponsored program by Abrams Mediation (2005). Listed on Register of Mediators for Southern District of New York Bankruptcy Court, Eastern District of New York Bankruptcy Court, and District of Delaware Bankruptcy Court.
- Co-Chair of Preference/Avoidance Subcommittee, ABA Bankruptcy and Insolvency Litigation Committee (2005 - 2008).
- Co-Chair of Bankruptcy Litigation Subcommittee, ABA Commercial & Business Litigation Committee (2005 - 2008).
- Association of the Bar of the City of New York, Committee on Civil Courts (2007 – present), Committee on Professional & Judicial Ethics (2006 - 2007), Committee on Professional Responsibility (Secretary, 2002- 2005), Committee on Bankruptcy and Corporate Reorganization (1998-2001).
- Beverly Hills Bar Association, Executive Committee - Bankruptcy Section (1992-1997).
- Los Angeles Free Clinic, Legal Department - Advisory Board (1992- 1997).
- American Bankruptcy Institute
- American Bar Association
- Association of the Bar of the City of New York
- New York County Bar Association
- Brooklyn Bar Association
- Commercial Law League of America
Moderator on Panel on "Key Bankruptcy Issues" at The Distressed Real Estate Seminar, Information Management Network, Feb. 27, 2002, New York
Panel Speaker on Panel on "What Intellectual Property Lawyers Need to Know About Bankruptcy" at The Intellectual Property Law Section Seminar, New York State Bar Association Annual Meeting, Jan. 22, 2002, New York
Panel Speaker on Panel on "Intellectual Property & Bankruptcy" sponsored by the Bankruptcy Committee of the Litigation Section of the American Bar Association, A.B.A. Annual Meeting, Aug. 5, 2001, Chicago
Publications : See the Publications page for a list of publications
Languages : French, Turkish